PDA

View Full Version : Back when Iowa drivers were 'Kings of the Dirt"...

Krooser
11-08-2021, 06:21 AM
http://www.midwestracingarchives.com/2010/04/remembering-when-iowans-were-kings-of.html

kazual
11-08-2021, 08:59 AM
Am old enough to have seen several of these guys race. Springfield, Missouri fairgrounds dirt track had a covered grandstand that would reverberate engine noise. Derr’s hemi on the front straight is an experience I remember to this day.

Krooser
11-08-2021, 09:29 AM
Been to Springfield , Mo and Little Springfield in IL...loved them both.

EvelB7
11-08-2021, 10:00 AM
Very cool, watched them all growing up and was fortunate enough to actually race with quite a few of them. One of my favorite times was having Darrell Dake stop in and see my dad and I while he was visiting North Carolina. Cringe(Keith Simmons) had restored Darrell's old hauler (we did the exhaust work on it) at the time.

fryefan
11-08-2021, 10:22 AM
Speaking of Springfield, the current Springfield Raceway is one racey joint. I would encourage any of you who have not been there to stop in and check it out if you are in the area.

kazual
11-08-2021, 02:30 PM
Speaking of Springfield, the current Springfield Raceway is one racey joint. I would encourage any of you who have not been there to stop in and check it out if you are in the area.Turkey Bowl coming up later in November can be an enjoyable racer’s weekend, weather permitting. They generally have good track conditions.